Google mobile analytics needs a Bango makeover

28 10 2009

This week Google finally got round to releasing some tracking code for mobile (read about it here). It uses familiar server and image techniques like many of the other analytics solutions. Naturally I was keen to test it out so I grabbed their server code and integrated it with Mobislim. So far so good, or was it…

Testing it on my first two handsets revealed a broken Mobislim site…. Arrgh, the standard simple bit of tracking code from Google does not work.

Screen shot showing my broken site after adding Google mobile analytics code to mobislim

Error on mobislim.com after adding Google mobile analytics code

My iPhone immediately threw up an error as shown in the image on the right. I assume Google expect me to detect iPhones and send separate JavaScript tracking code, but that is too much like hard work. So instead I tested the site on a mass market Nokia N95… another error, what phones did they use to test this?

So to test things correctly and in the spirit of helping build the mobile market my friends at Bango fixed the Google tracking code. So Google if you are reading this, your code is broken and here is a fix: http://mobislim.com/googleanalyticsformobile-with-jsp-fix.zip, I hope that helps.

Now that we are up and recording I will let you know the outcome in due course. Frustratingly, unlike Bango’s real-time reports I need to wait some time to get my results with the new Google mobile analytics code.

Watch this space, more information soon…

Share: add to del.icio.us Add to Blinkslist add to furl Digg it add to ma.gnolia Stumble It! add to simpy seed the vine TailRank post to facebook

Advertisements

Actions

Information

4 responses

2 11 2009
Yuri Ammosov

Android phones, obviously.

2 11 2009
Dean

About time indeed. I had no issues with the .NET integration on our site. Stats coming through look reasonable enough.

13 04 2010
Eric Bloom

Link to the fixed Google code doesn’t work. What happened? I tried Google mobile php code on my mobile website and couldn’t get it to work at all. Others in several forums had same problems. Google doesn’t seem to care. I basically gave up.

15 04 2010
maria at bango

Hi Eric, sorry the link wasn´t available when you tried it! We have fixed the problem and is working again now. Please try again! Let us know the results. Many thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: